Thursday, April 8, 2010

New website + Samurai action!!

The new English website for the store is finally up and running!!
Please take a look and let me know what you think!

Coming up in May, Japan has a holiday for boys (Holiday for girls was in Feb. sorry I didn't take any pictures), And it is traditional to put up a display of a samurai warrior (or in some houses just the armor).
We have our display up in the store, so I thought I would write a post about it as an interesting tidbit of Japanese culture (although sake isn't involved).

This is our "Kabuto" or Samurai display:



It is now about 27 years old, although it doesn't look it, And since there aren't any children in the family now, it gets proudly displayed in the store every year. Really intricately hand made, with a real rabbit skin rug for the doll.

Well I will get a some tasting notes up here soon.
We got some new really good spring sake into the store recently, although unfortunately the ones that I really want to post here are ones that I can't even mention on the internet (restricted by the brewery).

New Nama sake from Hiroshima prefecture that I am hoping to taste soon too.

More soon!

Cheers,
Meishu no Yutaka staff
Carlin

2 comments:

  1. Restricted by the brewery to post tasting notes?! I'm surprised! Good thing I don't check with the brewery ;-)

    Oh, I like the Boy's Day Samurai! and otsukaresama deshita on the english language website. Looks great!! Kanpai
    Timothy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Timothy-san!

    Yeah believe it or not there are quite a few breweries here that don't allow the sake stores that sell their sake to post anything about it on the web. I thought is was kind of silly, but what they want to achieve is like a grass roots word of mouth advertising campaign which is kind of cool.

    I think they have different rules for outside of Japan. The brewery I'm talking about is one of your favorite Niigata Breweries too! It's hard not to just blurt it out, but you will have to forgive me for not mentioning the name.

    The Samurai doll is great isn't it?
    Thank you I hadn't done any HTML coding in like 10 years, I didn't realize how much things had changed! I almost had to learn things over again from the start.

    Cheers
    Carlin

    ReplyDelete